SportsDataIO: October Newsletter
October may just be the best time of the year for sports. The MLB Playoffs are well underway, the NFL is back in full swing, and it brings about the NBA and NHL seasons.
With an action-packed month, SportsDataIO has plenty of exciting news and updates to share.
G2E Key Takeaways 2023
We had a ton of great conversations with current and prospective partners around-
- Increasing Focus on Player Props
- Synergies Between iGaming and Sports Betting
- Player Engagement Expansion
- Growing Popularity of Exchanges
Recent Product Updates and Enhancements
- Using recordings of our actual, unscrambled API outputs from real sporting events, ranging from the World Series to the NBA Draft, you can develop and test your integration using real-world data, on your schedule, 100% free of charge forever.
Verse Fantasy and SportsDataIO announced their expanded partnership in early October. Learn more about how SportsDataIO is helping Verse Fantasy merge DFS and Season-Long Fantasy Sports.
The most notable key dates upcoming include:
- MLB World Series and Season End - October 27th - November 4th
- NBA In-Season Tournament - November 3rd
- NCAA Basketball Season Begins - November 6th
To see all key dates upcoming check out the full calendar here.
News Around the Industry
- An interesting storyline that has emerged over the past month has been the discussion around daily fantasy sports games that mimic player prop betting that have been popularized by platforms like PrizePicks and Underdog Fantasy. Legal Sports Report put together a great article about Michigan's decision.
- Covers, among other news outlets, reported that DraftKings (currently behind FanDuel) has gained an increase in market share and is making a push to become the top operator in the US. Read more about this battle here.
- A recent poll by Covers revealed that fans are in favor of athletes being allowed to place wagers on sports they do not participate in, reinforcing the disappearing stigma thought to be had around sports betting.
- At the league level, the first NHL player has been suspended 41 games for violating the NHL's gambling policy and the NFL recently updated their gambling policy which now calls for a minimum year-long suspension versus the previous four game suspension policy.
As we wrap up the month of October, stay tuned for another exciting month ahead!
Sam Pearson is a Senior Account Executive for SportsDataIO and has been with the company since September of 2020. Sam currently resides in Phoenix, Arizona, but grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. You can always find him catching up on the latest and greatest in the sports world, actively following the Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks.